18 Aug Do I Really Need Social Media For My Business?
Yes. And no.
That’s not very helpful, is it? It’s a question that most business owners will ask at one time or another, and with good reason. Social media takes up a lot of time, can be difficult to do if you’re not a fluent user already, and is challenging to track the success of. So it’s understandable that you’ll want to know if you’re going to get a return before you make the investment.
As a general rule, we think all businesses could benefit from a social media presence. The issue isn’t so much as should you have social media in the first place, but which platforms should you use. Some might be perfect for you, some might not be where your target audience hang out, and some might just be inappropriate. After all, an undertaker probably shouldn’t be on Instagram! But in case you’re not convinced, today we have a few reasons why your business should be on social media, and some top tips from us as well!
There is no denying that the high street is declining – even more so with recent events. To combat this, many businesses have taken to selling their products or services online. But they aren’t limited to their website – instead they’re flocking to social media, using the advertising tools there to make direct sales. If you have a large following on social media, you can actually make more in sales than you could in a bricks and mortar store. Research has shown that 54% of millennials use social channels to research and buy products. And according to Business Insider, the top 500 retailers earned an estimated $6.5 billion from social shopping in 2017 – and that number is only going up.
One of the lesser known benefits to social media is actually SEO. If you’re trying to improve your online presence and get your website to show up on the coveted page 1 of Google, then having social media channels can really give you a boost. Social media can give you direct backlinks and traffic to your website (which improve page ranking), improves your presence online overall, and they even count towards your company’s overall ranking. As long as you keep your social media accounts going and don’t abandon them, they will keep adding to your ranking and improving your overall SEO efforts.
Top Social Media Tips
- Choose the right platform: Social media can be incredibly powerful, but only if you’re smart about it. Research your target audience and find out which platforms they use. This will help you narrow down which platforms will be worth your time, and which will be a waste.
- Dedicate some time: We’re not going to lie – this kind of marketing takes time. At the very least, you should be carving out an hour or two each week to create and schedule your posts for the week. On top of that, you should be making time to check in respond to people online, and have genuine conversations.
- Be consistent: Don’t start out on a channel and then give up after a month. As we mentioned earlier, being consistent matters for your SEO, but it also matters to your audience. They need to be able to trust and remember you, and if you’re only appearing in their timeline once every couple of months, that just isn’t going to happen.
- Be topical: Keep an eye on popular trends as they come and go. Each platform will have it’s own trends, and participating in these is a good way to gain more visibility and a lot more followers at the same time.
- Outsource it: If you don’t think you’ll be able to give your social media the time, or the skill it needs, then you should seriously think about outsourcing it. A VA can help manage your social accounts for you, or give you some guidance on what to do.
If you would like to start a social media account for your business (or re-start an inactive one), we would love to help. At Starfish Admin Services, we can take on all aspects of social media management from start to finish, so you don’t need to worry about dedicating time to it yourself. Instead, you can see all of the benefits, without having to lift a finger. If you would like to know more, just get in touch with us today.